Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Engineering Dreams

Living in the past - year 1996...

Today I got admission papers for my graduation. After my results I got my mark list from the school after a week. I scored 84 each in physics & mathematics and 78 in chemistry. My parents & friends were shocked when they came to know. All they thought was I would fail my 12th standard or even if I pass I would have scored only just pass marks. Only after sometime they realized all these marks were out of 200 and what they predicted was right. I was happy atleast for one reason that is of living to their expectation.

Like any middle class Indian parents dream, my parents also wanted my sister to become a Doctor and myself an Engineer. My sister went for all the tuitions dutifully and even wrote entrance exam for medicine. Fortunate for me she also scored lesser marks. My parents were content that though she couldn’t do a five-year medicine course why not a course for same period and she joined a law college. So all their hope rested on my shoulders. I was already over burdened with my subjects, friends, broken proposal so I couldn’t do justice to them. But trust me I had the conviction to say that I will not join for engineering entrance coaching or will write the entrance exam.

I had my own plans for graduation. I wanted to join in one of the colleges in Chennai or Banglore and do business administration. I was hell bent that I will not join a college in salem itself. Because I know if I join here I cant bunk classes or go on trips as I wish and moreover Salem is such a small place for me. My parents were behind me to join in salem itself and they promised me to get a car to got college if I join here. All my demands went for a toss when my marks came and I had no tool to fight for my right.

I could see my parent’s dream of making me an engineer collapse after seeing my marks. But my dad is more determined than me. He was hell bent that he will put into one engineering college come what may. He used all his contacts to get me an engineering seat I any college paying whatever capitation fee. He was not ready to hear my reasons. 2 days back he asked all of us at home to get ready. I thought he is going to take us for an excursion but after 2 hours journey we reached an engineering college on the outskirts of a village. I leave it to your imagination of how that place would look like.

We entered the principal room and informed about my dad’s wish. He asked 3 basic questions 1. Do I have eligible marks to apply for an engineering seat? 2. Whether I have written entrance exam 3. Whether we have money to afford the education? Since we were accompanied by one of the college trustees relative he excused for asking us the last question. I believe that guy would have cursed all gods for putting him in a position like this and seeing my marks. He straightaway rejected my application. Except for me everybody were disappointed. But because of strong recommendation he agreed to give me a civil engineering seat and asked us to pay 5 lacs.

As soon as we left the room I fell on dad’s feet and pleaded him not to put me in an engineering college and particularly in this hell of a place. I also gave him the reason of why I would not join for engineering. I said if I join then it will take minimum of 1 decade for me to complete the course. He accepted my request. But my happiness was short lived. Soon he checked whether there is an arts college with the same group. We went to the arts college principal room on knowing that they have an arts college too. There I was asked to fill up a form with all details and my preferred course. I dutifully filled up for Business Administration. The principal looked at my marks and then suggested rather ordered that all I could join is only for a course called Corporate Secretaryship. I looked at my dad he was in no mood to request him or use his recommendation for getting me the course I preferred.

He informed us to pay meager admission fee of 10K and join the college immediately as all seats are filling up already. I came out and told my dad that the course what he offered was of no use to me and if we ask for this course in other colleges the principal will fall on our feet and give us admission. But this time my words were falling on a deaf ear. He didn’t hesitate for a minute and went straight to the payment counter and paid for the course.

Now I realize the cost of getting such marks. I see myself in a remote village in India studying for a course that I haven’t heard in my life. All I now pray for is a good set of classmates with similar mindset and some colorful girls.

Oh god please save me….

1 comment:

sn said...

dood one commanality with the times u went to the place for education and the place now u go for work...when u went for education u had a choice to be there or not at your parents cost,but at work you are forced to go to such or worser villages and do a high conveyance claim:)